RHYTHMS OF RAJASTHAN - 2013
"As the sun met the horizon, divine music started flowing through every corner of the Fort making the crowd ecstatic with the true spirit of Rajasthan"
Rhythms of Rajasthan 2013
Departure from LAX Oct.8th 2013 ~ Return LAX Oct. 24th 2013
Join Tribal Music Tours guide Steffi Buffington on a unique adventure to timeless Rajasthan and visit the Mehrangarh Fort in Jodhpur to experience the magic of the Rajasthan International Folk Festival 2013.
Timed to coincide with the brightest full moon of the year in north India and the exotic Mawar Festival, the Jodhpur RIFF features a series of spectacular concerts and events based in and around Mehrangarh Fort - voted "Asia's Best Fortess" by Times Magazine. Jodhpur RIFF includes performances by master musicians from local Rajasthan communities, sensational headline acts showcased each night on the Main Stage, and cutting-edge global dance grooves that will keep the party going late into the night at Club Mehran.
Our small group will stay in the best authentic havelis in Rajasthan's most picturesque and historical cities along the ancient Silk Road. Each spot has been selected for it's charm, location and cleanliness. The trip is a rare adventure in indigenous music, folks art and mystical festivals. This extraordinary itinerary is not offered anywhere else. Now is the time to visit this spectacular region of India while these precious cultures still exist in all their colorful glory and before modern technology swiftly Westernizes these endangered tribal traditions.
MORE TOUR HIGHTLIGHTS
- An evening in the Kingdom of Dreams to see the Bollywood extravaganza "Zangoora"
- Delhi sightseeing and rickshaw ride through Old Delhi Chandi Chowk Bazaar
- Visit Jaisalmer with accommodations within the 12th century Golden Fortress
- Take a camel safari into the Thar desert for a campfire drum circle with Banjara people
- Excursion to the Bishnoi village the original pacifist tribe of India to witness an opium ceremony
- All access pass to the Rajasthani International Folk Festival in the spectacular Mehrangahr Fort
- See colorful camel races, mustache contests at Palace polo grounds at the Mewar Festival in Jodhpur
- Explore Ranakapur 15h century Jain Temple of 1,444 uniquely carved marble pillers.
- Take a sunset boat ride on Udaipur's Lake Pichola to the Queen's floating palace
- Wander the 6th century Eklingnath Temple to view the 50 ft. four faced statue of Lord Shiva
- Limited to 14 travelers
- R/T airfare from LAX and flights within India
Day 1 ~ (LAX departure time : TBA)
Please arrive at LAX Bradley building 3 hours ahead of departure time.
Arrive Delhi early AM ~ Transfer to Hotel for sleep, Breakfast orientation
Day 2 ~ Delhi
AM visit Jama Masjid the holiest and largest mosque in India. Built in 1650.
Continue sight seeing via rickshaw through Old Delhi’s Chandi Chowk.It's chaotic, crumbling and congested, but completely captivating as well.
After sumptuous traditional Indian lunch we will continue on to the Humayun's Tomb fashioned in 1570 after the Taj Mahal.
Dinner on your own
Day 3 ~ Delhi
Explore the famous Bazaars and shopping at Dilli Haat traditional market, then take the afternoon to shop the sidewalk venders of Janpath Road and Tibetan Market for tribal antiques and textiles.
Tonight we dine in the Kingdom of Dreams and the spectacular Bollywood extravaganza "Zangoora"
Click the following banner for preview:
Day 4 ~ Transfer by air to Jodhpur & Coach to JAISALMER
Depart Delhi 10:25 arrive Jodhpur 11:45 meet coach.
Drive to Jailsalmer, hotel check - in and roof top welcome feast.
You will be swept away as if by magic carpet as we enter the medieval golden Fortress and stay within it's imposing walls at our 12th century Haveli Gharjasal with it's splendid views over the Silk Road old city from each room.
Day 5 ~ Jaisalmer
AM visit to Godi Sagar Lake framed by arched gateways and home to floating temples and shrines.
Free afternoon to shop and wander the winding narrow lanes and visit TMT’s secret treasure trove of fabulous tribal artifacts. A real collectors paradise !
Day 6 ~ Jaisalmer
Morning city tour visiting the Royal Palace within the fort and several of the Jain temples built in the 12th century full of ornate sacred carvings.
After lunch we continue on to the Patwon ki Haveli of completely carved sandstone. In the early evening we will attend the original "Burning Man" called the Dusseha festival with 75 foot tall effigies of the demons are burnt to symbolize the victory of good over evil. It is a very colorful event complete with fireworks.
Day 7 ~ Camel Safari in Dunes
Afternoon camel ride into the Thar Desert for sunset and evening campfire Drum Circle with local Banjara people.
Special whirling trance dance will performed in the desert.
Dinner and over night stay back at the hotel.
Day 8 ~ Jaisalmer to Jodhpur coach
Morning drive to Jodhpur (285 miles approx. 5 hours drive)
Check in upon arrival to 700 year old Haveli Pal Inn.
After dinner at the hotel get ready for a fabulous opening RIFF ceremony that evening.
Day 9 ~ Jodhpur Merangarh Fort ~ Rajasthani International Folk Music Festival
We will be exploring the amazing Merangarh Fort with our private guide this morning and then spend the rest of the day and evening immersed in the RIFF program inside the fort. Afternoon at RIFF we will have the opportunity to engage with and discuss the rare folk forms of Rajasthan through demonstrations and interactions with musicians and artists. See RIFF web site for program details.
Day 10 ~ Jodhpur RIFF program ~ Marwar Festival
Start the day with sunrise dawn devotionals at the hill top marble memorial. Later this afternoon we will see the incredible and colorful camel races of the Marwar Festival polo grounds. Events include contests in turban tying, camel decoration, and best mustache.
After dinner and the RIFF events on the main stage you can enjoy cutting-edge global dance grooves and keep the party going late into the night at Club Mehran.
Day 11 ~ Jodhpur ~ Bishnoi Village
Afternoon excursion to The Guda Bishnoi village desert oasis. It is the perfect place to experience the traditions and customs of tribal life, including an opium ceremony. It is a place caught in a delightful time warp, where life still goes on like the days of the past.
Evening continuing to experience the performances by master musicians from local Rajasthan communities, sensational headline acts showcased each night at RIFF
Day 12 ~ Ranakapur and Udaipur
Depart Jodhpur after the closing RIFF dawn devotionals
AM drive to Udaipur en route visiting Jain Temples of Ranakapur ( 172 miles / approx. 5 hrs. drive )
Ranakapur sits in a lush valley and rushing waterfalls. Built in late 15 century, this temple complex of 1,444 exquisitely carved unique pillars. Afternoon Udaipur haveli check-in.
Day 13 ~ Udaipur
Morning city tour of Udaipur, visiting the City Palace, Jagdish Temple, and Bhartiya Lok Kala Mandhir ( Folk Art Museum )
Afternoon boat cruise on Pichola Lake surrounded by splendid hills, palaces, temples and bathing ghats. We will stop at the island palace of the queen which seems to float at the center of the lake.
Evening dinner and folkloric dance show.
Day 14 ~ Udaipur
Am visit to Shri Eklingji Prabhu Temple Dedicated to Lord Shiva, the temple complex is made completely out of marble. It also contains large colorfully painted statues of Lord Shiva’s Nandi Bull. Significantly, the original shrine was built by Bapa Rawal, the founder of the Mewar Dynasty. Nearby, and also worth seeing, are the ancient 10th century Sas Bahu temples dedicated to Lord Vishnu. The temples are covered in intricate sculptures.
Afternoon free for last minute shopping.
Day 15 ~ Udaipur/Delhi/LAX
Breakfast at hotel. Morning at leisure.
Transfer to airport to connect flight at 1650/1800 hours for Delhi. Assistance on arrival and transfer to city restaurant for farewell dinner. After dinner transfer to airport for home bound Emrates fight.
4,485.00 per person based on double occupancy
* $4,385 savings with full payment by August 15, 2013
- RT airfare from LAX on Emrate Airline, all transfers and group transportation.
- 14 nights, all breakfasts, three dinners. Based on double occ. Deluxe single upgrade, private bath, etc. available for $700.
- All entrance to Zangoora, RIFF, and sacred site entrance.
- All excursions, and group functions inc.
- Camel excursion in Thar desert
- Group is limited to 14 participants maximum. A $750 deposit is required to hold your place .
* Deposit payable by credit card or PayPal. A check for the balance is due within 30 days of departure.
- Single supplement or deluxe air conditioning upgrade $700
- Indian visa (must be sent for asap)
- Tips and gratuities for drivers and guides.
- Departure tax at the airport approx. $15
- Dinners, lunches and drinks not mentioned in itinerary. Budget $25 to $40 per day for meals.
- A valid passport and Indian Visa, and due to the new security measures, your passport must be valid for 6 months AFTER YOU RETURN HOME or at least until 7/12/2014
- A travelers packet will be sent to you when you have registered that will have all the detailed information you'll need.
- Trip and medical insurance for your tour is your responsibility a must have. You must have proof of required shots needed.
- Participation in the group program is not required but highly recommended.